Article in PDF (Download)
Chicken Kathi Roll with Pickled Red Onion Relish by Perinaz Avari, Celebrity Chef and Author
My family’s favorite Chicken Kathi Roll recipe with a filling of spicy shredded chicken cooked in a broth. Pickled red onion relish and a sprinkling of Indian Chaat Masala (optional) add unbeatable taste to this outstanding classic Indian street-food wrap. Photograph/Recipe © www.perisspiceladle.com
Makes 4-5 Kathi Rolls
1 lb boneless chicken, breast or thigh meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup chicken broth (or water)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 bay leaf
4-6 homemade ( my recipe is here ) or store-bought Roti-Chapati or Plain Paratha
2 well-beaten eggs
Indian Chaat Masala (optional, to sprinkle over the filling)
2 teaspoon canola oil
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste (or ½ teaspoon each minced garlic and grated ginger)
½ teaspoon ground red chili or Cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon cracked black peppercorn
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
Pickled Red Onion Relish
2 tablespoon red or cider vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon brown sugar or white refined sugar
1 cup thinly sliced or chopped red onion
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
4-6 large mint leaves, finely shredded
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
1 fresh Serrano or Thai green chili, very finely minced (optional, fresh chilies have a strong spice
01. Bring all the ingredients for the onion relish together in a bowl. Make sure the vinegar has coated the onion and carrots. Leave aside at room temperature for at least 1-2 hours for the flavors to marry.
02. Marinade the chicken pieces with the canola oil, spices and salt. Refrigerate and let the chicken marinate for at least 2-4 hours; no harm done if the chicken is marinated up to a day in advance.
To Prepare the Chicken
01. In a saucepan, bring the broth or water and lemon juice along with the bay leaf to a boil. Add the marinated chicken to the hot broth; cook covered for 10-12 minutes.
02. The chicken will be cooked through and most of the liquid will be absorbed, (or boil the liquid till it gets absorbed.) Using two forks shred the chicken into chunks, as finely as desired.
Assemble the Chicken Kathi Rolls
01. Heat a flat griddle; lay the homemade or store-bought Roti-Chapati or plain Paratha on it. While one side is heating up or cooking (read note below) evenly spread 1-2 tablespoons of well-beaten egg over the side facing up. Flip the flatbread, so the egg can cook.
02. Lay the Roti-Chapati or Paratha, egg side up on a flat surface. Add a generous helping of hot shredded chicken down the middle, top it with desired amount of pickled red onion relish and a sprinkling of Indian Chaat Masala (if you have it on hand.)
03. Fold the flatbread to create a wrap, using parchment paper to hold it together and catch drippings from the roll.
04. Always serve Chicken Kathi Roll freshly assembled, for the best experience.
Note on Roti-Chapati or Plain Paratha Indian flat bread can be made at home with simple dough using this recipe. However, they are also sold, cooked and frozen, or uncooked, at regular and ethnic stores in many western countries. In either scenario, Roti-Chapati and plain Paratha can easily be reheated or cooked on a hot griddle, before serving.
CHECK OUT PERI’S LATEST BOOK WITH ROHIT KAPOOR!
Available on www.amazon.com – www.amazon UK – www.amazo India